The Parish Church Ntra. Sra. Del Pilar was first built in 1752 over a former 17th century chapel which was demolished due to its ruin state. This church was in honour of Our Lady of the Pillar and the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
In 1975 the temple was again demolished and rebuilt for a second time due to its poor condition. The new church is the one we can visit today.
The current bell tower dates from 1899 and it is a symbol of the town since it expresses the strong and fierce attitude of the people of Pilar de la Horadada which has been the driving force for many of the things we enjoy today. This tower was raised thanks to the work and the 74,000 bricks which were paid to some extent by donations from the parishioners.
It has a height of 24 meters and it was built over an earlier tower of 1829, which had to be demolished because of an earthquake.
The tower has four bells with four different curious names: Pilar, Dolores, Josefa and Paloma.
More information about this church can be found in the following brochure
Visiting hours: Monday to Saturday from 11 am till 1 pm
This church was promoted by the priest Antonio Roda and it was built in the decade of 1950s by Antonio Albaladejo.
Check at the Tourist Info the timetable for the masses.
Throughout history these lands suffered numerous attacks by pirates who landed on the coast and made raids and plundered the inland areas.
The coastal watchtowers were built with the purpose of warning of the approach of pirates' ships, by communicating each other by means of fires and other signals.
An example of this type of watchtowers is the sober 16th century defensive Tower of Horadada, which is located between El Puerto and El Conde Beaches.
The declaration of our tower as BIC (Cultural Heritage Property) by the Second Additional Provision to Law 16/1985 was an important point to be remember. Because of that, we think that it is a real honour to have it on our coast.
Furthermore, from here starts a part of the southern way of the Camino de Santiago del Sureste (Southeastern Way of St. James) If you want information about this walk, click here
Diseño y desarrollo web de AiDweb.es
Entry added to notebook.